Biota analysis for metals and organic contaminants
Sample preparation and dissection of fish and mussels/clams
A selection of analytical packages:
|Arsenic speciation||OB-19d Arsenic speciation in food and biota|
|Brominated flame retardants||OB-25a Brominated flame retardants in biota|
|Brominated flame retardants incl TBBP-A||OB-25a Brominated flame retardants incl TBBP-A in biota|
|Dioxins, furans||OB-22 Dioxins and furans in biota|
|Coplanar and indicator PCB||OB-2b Coplanar and indicator PCB|
|Fat content in fish||Fat in fish|
|Phthalates||OB-4a Phthalates in biota|
|Chlorobenzenes||OB-8 Chlorobenzenes in biota|
|Chlorinated pesticides||OB-3a Chlorinated pesticides in biota|
|Chloroparaffins||OB-32 Chloroparaffins in biota|
|Mercury in fish muscle||Mercury in fish muscle|
M-4 Metals in biotaS01 Screening of elements
|Methyl mercury||OB-19e Methyl mercury in biota|
|Organophosphates||OB-25c Organophosphates (flame retardants, plasticizers) in biota|
|PAH||OB-1 PAH in biota|
|PCB7||OB-2a PCB in biota|
|Perfluorinated compounds||OB-34a Perfluorinated compounds in biota|
|PFOS and PFOA||OB-34b PFOS and PFOA in biota|
|Selenium speciation||OB-19f Selenium speciation|
|Organotin compounds||OB-19a Organotin compounds in biota|
|Dissection (fish, mussel)|
|Age determination (fish)|
|Determination of sex (fish)|
We are able to offer several additional analyses not listed above, please contact us for more information.
Recommendations when sending biota samples for analysis
- Please ship fish and shellfish/mussels/clams frozen. Samples should be kept frozen during transport and upon arrival to the laboratory.
- Please send enough sample material for the requested analyses. As an example, the weight of the liver of a 300-400 g fish is around 8-10 g. The dry weight of the liver is approximately 20%, i.e. the dry weight is around 1-2 g from the fish.
- Mussels/clams: Please rinse the mussels/clams in the same water that they have been collected from. It is important that the mussels/clams are cleansed from sand and sediment.
- If you wish to have the length of the fish measured, please do not send the fish rolled or bent, as we measure the length in frozen condition.
- If you know that you may request supplementary analyses, we would prefer to have such information before we dissects the samples. This enables us to store additional material for any supplementary analyses.
Why analyze biota?
Analyses of biota, such as fish, mussels, clams, bird eggs and moss, can be useful to examine the concentration of contaminants that are accumulated in plants and animals in a certain region. By performing annual sampling, one can follow how the concentrations of metals and organic contaminants vary over time in the region or between regions. Certain contaminants are more easily accumulated than others and by analyzing these substances, trends and conditions in the environment can be monitored.
Analysis of fish from a certain region can be used to examine the presence of metals and organic substances in the water environment and to decide to what extent the contaminants are accumulated in the fish.
Analysis of heavy metals in moss can indicate the concentration of metals from rainfall and air, this since the uptake of metals exclusively comes from such sources and not from the ground.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you would like more information about biota analysis. If you require dissection or an analysis that is not listed on our webpage, you are more than welcome to discuss this with us.
Client service Stockholm (organic analyses):
Phone: +46 (0)8 5277 5200
Client service Luleå (metal analyses):
Phone: +46 (0)920 28 99 00